Dow Chemical Mechanical Technologist in Burley, Idaho
The Dow Chemical Companyhas an exciting opportunity for aMechanical Technologistfor the Dow Building Solutions (DBS) Extruded Polystyrene (XPS) Foam Production Facility located at inBurley, ID. The purpose of the role is to provide the daily technical support necessary to maintain safe and reliable operation of the mechanical equipment used in the production of Styrofoam®. That equipment includes pumps, loss in weight feeders, extruders, blowers, conveyors, cutters, packaging equipment. The XPS process equipment is highly mechanical.
The Mechanical Technologist will work with a team of highly skilled operations personnel to deliver precision repairs and implementation of reliability solutions. This role will also be a part of the NA XPS plant grid of 5 XPS plants focused on delivering the highest level of reliability performance. The NA grid offers the opportunity for leveraging within a peer network of individuals in the same role at the other facilities.
• Participate in the development of the Facility Maintenance Strategy and facilitate the implementation, and execute work as defined in the strategy.
• Develop and implement Equipment Reliability Strategies (ERS).
• Provide technical expertise to plant personnel during equipment problems, repair, troubleshooting and during root cause investigations.
• Perform mechanical repair work and ensure that applicable techniques, procedures and details such as clearances, tolerances, materials of construction, welding procedures, are used and documented.
• Provide technical support for specification, identification and purchasing of needed parts and ensure spare parts are inventoried and available.
• Develop and implement mechanical repair/PPM procedures and review/update existing procedures. Ensure PPM is executed per plan and leverage best PPM practices.
• Review and determine actions based on PPM inspections, oil analysis and vibration reports – audits programs and intervene when issues are found
.• Participate in developing the maintenance budget to support the maintenance strategy and execute work per the budget plan.
• Oversee and perform Quality Control on outside shop repairs.
• Collect equipment operation/history data and identify improvement opportunities based on maintenance cost, asset utilization and Reliability Engineering principles.
• Perform/Assist in equipment risk assessments.
• Core member of the plant and grid teams to support EH&S, reliability, maintenance and operations.
The Dow Chemical Company does not offer relocation if the position is offered to someone who lives outside the area or reimbursement for travel to and from interviews. If you consider a position that is not within the area you reside you will be responsible for all cost that incur.
• Demonstrated working knowledge of precision repair techniques for mechanical and rotating equipment including typical tolerances and clearances, torqueing protocols, optical and laser alignment, coupling makeups, and lubrication methodologies
• Demonstrated proficiency with computer systems including word processing, maintenance information systems (CMMS), and MRO/spare parts systems.
• Ability to develop, review, edit and follow procedures.
• Communicate and report, written and orally, in an effective manner
• Ability to read and comprehend written project and equipment specifications, manufacturer’s recommendations, detailed mechanical assembly and component drawings, Piping and Instrument Diagrams and Material Safety Datasheets.
• Interact effectively & influentially with a broad range of personnel (craftsman, technicians, vendors, engineers and leadership).
• Effectively explain, coach and redirect crafts and team members.
• Willing to travel to other Dow Sites within the Dow Building Solutions business to assist as an SME on repairs or turnarounds. Travel requirements expected to be 10%.
• Willing to attend training courses on assigned disciplines in order to maintain and improve knowledge of mechanical equipment and reliability
• A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process.
• Conventional 5-8s schedule. (Alternative schedule to be determined by Individual and Plant requirements).
• Additional hours as needed to support urgent equipment repairs as well as occasional extended duration turnarounds.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee will occasionally be required to stand, walk, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must be able to climb fixed/portable ladders. Typical environments have many obstructions/challenges related to the routine task of walking. These challenges include, but are not limited to, uneven work surfaces, and other obstructions such as equipment and piping, etc. The employee must be able to safely walk and maneuver around these obstructions/challenges.
• Be able to lift, push or pull up to 50 pounds.
• Be able to work in tight or closed-in spaces (e.g. packaging equipment)
• Be able to climb stairs and work at heights.
• Be able to work shift work during turnarounds
• Be able to work overtime when needed (including weekends & holidays).
• Recognized Journeyman millwright or machinist status.
• A minimum five (5) years of mechanical / maintenance experience repairing mechanical and rotating equipment including pumps, extruders, blowers, gearboxes, conveyors, and packaging equipment. This experience can be a blend of shop and field experience with at least three (3) years being in the field.
• Relative experience with foam extrusion and/or foam board material handling & packaging is considered a plus.
• SAP experience and Management of Change experience are considered a plus.
• A minimum of a High School Diploma or GED is required.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines the power of science and technology to passionately innovate what is essential to human progress. The Company is driving innovations that extract value from the intersection of chemical, physical and biological sciences to help address many of the world's most challenging problems such as the need for clean water, clean energy generation and conservation, and increasing agricultural productivity. Dow's integrated, market-driven, industry-leading portfolio of specialty chemical, advanced materials, agrosciences and plastics businesses delivers a broad range of technology-based products and solutions to customers in approximately 180 countries and in high-growth sectors such as packaging, electronics, water, coatings and agriculture. In 2014, Dow had annual sales of more than $58 billion and employed approximately 53,000 people worldwide. The Company's more than 6,000 product families are manufactured at 201 sites in 35 countries across the globe. References to "Dow" or the "Company" mean The Dow Chemical Company and its consolidated subsidiaries unless otherwise expressly noted. More information about Dow can be found at: www.dow.com.
• Competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits
• An annual variable pay program that rewards team and individual performance while sharing success across the company
• Employee stock ownership - and the commitment to long-term success that it brings
• On-going learning opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and rewarding work environment
• Career experiences that can span different Dow businesses and functions with opportunities for personal and professional growth
• The chance to work within a global company and interact with colleagues from around the world
• Opportunities that spark your imagination and ignite your passion to help others
• Dow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer