Dow Chemical Process Control Hardware Technologist in Freeport, Texas
The Dow Chemical Company has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Process Control Hardware Technologist in the **Freeport, TX location. The purpose of this position is to provide process control hardware support for the MOD5 and ABB migration and ongoing support.
• Implements the actions to keep the reliability of the process control systems above 99.7% in close cooperation with the Plant Process Control Engineer/Technician.
• Leads the effort to diagnose and analyze the health of the process control systems in close cooperation with the Plant Process Control Engineer/Technician.
• Support the C-Distributed Control System (DCS) process automation control system and its peripheral devices.
• Locate and replace defective control system components, such as control system computers and I/O hardware, network routers/switches and server hardware components.
• Leads and/or participates in the installation and commissioning of process control systems.
• Manages the connecting of process control components/devices with wire, network or fiber optic cable.
• Perform software system build (installs all system software) on servers and clients.
• Assists process automation leader to resolve process automation issues.
• Provides knowledgeable process automation advice to plant personnel and others within site.
• Provide timely response and effective resolution to (problem or project) requests either by solving and/or escalating to the Engineering Solutions Tech Center or the vendor support line.
• Understanding when to escalate problems to the next level of support.
• Develop working knowledge of the process control hardware; Microsoft operating system; system applications; network; server & client software/hardware maintenance; preventive/predictive maintenance.
• Develop a complete overall understanding of the DCS process automation system and legacy Dow control system.
• Develop skills to navigate within the plant written applications to troubleshoot process control hardware problems.
• Requires an on-going or frequent presence, rapid response, and a need to have hands-on interaction with the local environment in order to provide the needed services.
• Expected to understand & follow all identified Engineering Solutions work processes.
• Under the direction of a Global Process Control subject matter expert, incumbent will initiate portions of software upgrades that cannot be done remotely.
• Preferred work schedules are 9-80/Alternating Friday Off or 5-8s.
• A minimum of 1 year of experience in the chemical, plastic, petrochemical, gas/oil, pharmaceuticals, pulp/paper, power/utilities or paint coatings industry is required.
• A minimum of 1 year of experience applying ABB Industrial Information Technology (IT) Distributed Control Systems (DCS) or similar systems.
• A minimum of 1 year of hands-on experience in Process Control projects (examples: Honeywell, Triconix, ABB).
• A basic understanding of the Microsoft Windows operating system and the standard office software applications is required.
• Infrequent travel to other Dow sites will be required.
• Expected to provide the necessary services on a Monday through Friday basis with an agreed upon arrangement for providing after hour support to the sites.
• Expected to carry a pager and or cell phone during “on call” rotation.
• Must have a current, valid, United States driver license.
• A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process.
• 5 or more years of experience in the chemical, plastic, petrochemical, gas/oil, pharmaceuticals, pulp/paper, power/utilities or paint coatings industry is preferred.
• Formal training or experience in process control, electrical or field instrumentation is preferred.
• A basic understanding of electronic circuit fundamentals and electronic troubleshooting is preferred.
• Familiar with Microsoft Excel
• A minimum of an Associate degree is required, a degree in computer applications , hardware, electronics, or process control is preferred
• In lieu of an associate degree or higher Dow Chemical will consider those with four (4) years of relevant military experience in a technical role working with computers or electronics and a minimum of a High School Diploma or GED.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines the power of science and technology to passionately innovate what is essential to human progress. The Company is driving innovations that extract value from material, polymer, chemical and biological science to help address many of the world's most challenging problems, such as the need for fresh food, safer and more sustainable transportation, clean water, energy efficiency, more durable infrastructure, and increasing agricultural productivity. Dow's integrated, market-driven portfolio delivers a broad range of technology-based products and solutions to customers in 175 countries and in high-growth sectors such as packaging, infrastructure, transportation, consumer care, electronics, and agriculture. In 2016, Dow had annual sales of $48 billion and employed approximately 56,000 people worldwide. The Company's more than 7,000 product families are manufactured at 189 sites in 34 countries across the globe. References to "Dow" or the "Company" mean The Dow Chemical Company and its consolidated subsidiaries unless otherwise expressly noted. More information about Dow can be found at www.dow.com.
•Competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits
•An annual variable pay program that rewards team and individual performance while sharing success across the company
•Employee stock ownership - and the commitment to long-term success that it brings
•On-going learning opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and rewarding work environment
•Career experiences that can span different Dow businesses and functions with opportunities for personal and professional growth
•The chance to work within a global company and interact with colleagues from around the world
•Opportunities that spark your imagination and ignite your passion to help others
•Dow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at http://www.dow.com/en-us/contact-us, you may call us at 1 800-523-3945 and select Option 1, or send a facsimile request to 1 989-636-3674.
Process Control Hardware Technologist